Sunday, October 5, 2008

C++

C++ was my first programming language. Kind of liked it, mainly because it was the first one I learned. It was somewhat like diving into the deep end of the pool to learn swimming.

Used to think that I did have a decent understanding of the language. Not anymore. The language has evolved a lot, and am badly out of touch after becoming a full-time Java programmer. Not sure if I can continue to have it in my resume. Especially after realizing that I could not answer most of the questions in the GOTW.

Then a few interviews happened. Talked to some people who claimed to be very good at C++. Most of them were surprised to know that "struct"s can contain methods. Or why a copy constructor should take a reference.

That was a real confidence booster, personally.

Any openings for a born-again C++ programmer?